Paris is THE dream destination of every girl in this world.
The majestic Eiffel Tower
For the obvious reason that it is the city of love. A city to celebrate love for your partner, love for the city’s rich history and culture, love for its breathtaking sights (including the hot French guys), love for the French language, love for French food, love for fashion and of course, love for the iconic Eiffel Tower!
Loved every bit of Paris. ❤
Ever since I was a little girl, Paris was definitely on top of my dream destination list. I promised myself that when I grow up, I will do whatever it takes for me to travel the world and hopefully get the chance to wander around the city of love.
Fast forward to my 20s, I couldn’t believe I had the opportunity to travel to Paris. Alone. I’ve always thought that when I visit this place, I will be with someone—perhaps with my new husband as we celebrate our honeymoon? I don’t know. I just never thought I’d go to Paris alone.
As Audrey Hepburn once said, “Paris is always a good idea.” However, the thought of traveling alone, for the first time – I don’t think that’s always a welcoming idea! Of course, only a loser would pass up this opportunity.
My Paris trip was work-related and everything happened so fast. I was only given a little less than 2 months to process my visa, wait for the result and shop for Autumn/Winter clothes! (I promise to write more about the visa processing and preparations on a separate entry.)
Insight Guides’ Paris Step by Step
I did not have enough time to do some in-depth research about the city to be honest. But since I already had an idea of the famous places I’ve always wanted to go, I listed it down and started from there. (Yes, this would definitely be something I will write about.)
I bought a travel book about Paris to help me with my planning. It was very helpful because not only does it have a lot of photos, addresses and phone numbers of the places (restaurants, museums, tour busses, hotels, etc.), it also has a comprehensive city and metro map.
Here are some tips that may help you plan your Paris trip:
- Prepare a list of places you want to visit, refer to the city map and decide your itinerary per day and how you’ll be able to reach the place.
- Wander around. Don’t be afraid to walk alone even if deep down inside, you’re a bit paranoid. Haha.
- It’s okay not to follow your itinerary. Get lost and you’ll end up having the best stories!
- When you get lost, I am sure you will discover something amazing! Of course, be extra careful.
- You will fall madly in love with the Eiffel Tower. You’ll find yourself coming back to see it at least twice before you leave. (I cried a bit when I saw it up close. And when it started to light up at night. Hahaha)
- Try to devour a lot of French food, as much as you can. Even if some of their food may taste odd, try it for the sake of experience.
- France offers a wide range of desserts! Make sure to try it out- from the expensive ones to the cheaper ones from local pâtisserie.
Disclaimer: I wrote this on 30 March 2013, a few months after my first Europe trip, with an attempt to publish my first blog entry. I didn’t have the courage to post it obviously. 😦 More than 2 years passed and it found its way on this blog. Hahaha. Being new to this blogging, I know I should always remind myself why we started this blog–to share the things we’ve learned from our amazing trips and hopefully help other travellers–so I shouldn’t be scared to do that, right?! 😛